How can I find a genetics professional in my area?

To find a genetics professional in your community, you may wish to ask your doctor for a referral. If you have health insurance, you can also contact your insurance company to find a medical geneticist or genetic counselor in your area who participates in your plan.

Several organizations have tips for finding a healthcare professional:

  • The Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center, a service of the National Institutes of Health, provides a guide to finding specialists in particular genetic and rare conditions.

  • The Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance provides advice on finding and choosing a doctor. Although this advice is written for adults with tuberous sclerosis, much of it applies to people with any chronic health condition.

Additional resources for locating a genetics professional in your community are available online:

If you have a health condition that has not been diagnosed, you may be interested in the Undiagnosed Diseases Network. They have information about how to apply for this multicenter research study.